My 10-Day Trip To Hiratsuka, Japan As An Exchange Student | Part 1

Why I Went To Japan

       When I first saw the chance to go to Japan, it was in school when my orchestra teacher announced that she had applications we could pick up to apply for an exchange student trip to Hiratsuka, Japan. I grabbed a packet on the fourth day and was told two days later by my parents that I could go. I filled out the packet, wrote the required essay, went to the interview, and waited anxiously for the week when we would get an email saying if I was approved or not. I was so excited when my parents told me that I was going.

Getting To Japan

       Wednesday morning; I’ve been up all night, partly becasue I was trying to, but also because I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep anyway. I had planned to stay up, since the group had to be at the airport by 5:30 in the morning. We left at four thirty, and I slept a whole ten minutes on the forty-five minute drive. We ot to the airport, and our group was flying on American

Airlines, and we didn’t know which direction to walk so we tried right, going to almost the far side of the terminal before my mom asked someone who worked there and she told us we were on the opposite end of the terminal and we walked all the way back across the terminal. Just for the record, this wasn’t an easy walk for me, since I had a forty pound backpack on my back and a twenty pound one on the front. After getting my boarding passes we waited

Exiting the gate in Dallas

another twenty minutes for everyone else to finish. It took me ten of those minutes to realize that I was allowed to take my backpacks off. We all got through security fine and after about five group pictures sat down for about thirty minutes to wait for the plane. When the we finally boarded (we were group 7), we had a nice chill one-hour and forty-five minute plane ride during which I started six different movies and watched about five minutes of each. I played some Plants Vs. Zombies, chess, Tetris, and Bejeweled 2, and bam! We were in Dallas, ready to board the plane that would take us across the Pacific Ocean. 

We had a wonderful twelve-hour-twenty-seven-minute plane ride, and I played a lot more games, slept a whole zero minutes, and played some more games. Most of the time, I forgot we were twenty-six-thousand feet in the air, so it took me a couple of hours after we landed to realize that we were in Japan. After landing we took forty-five minutes getting through imigration and customs, but it really helped that one of the chapperones spoke japanese. Then we got on a bus that would take us to Hiratsuka.

Everyone Waiting for the Bus
On the Bus

Click Below,
Explore It For Yourself

1 thought on “My 10-Day Trip To Hiratsuka, Japan As An Exchange Student | Part 1”

  1. Trevor, It looks like your trip was really fun and exciting. I can’t wait to see more. Grandma & Grandpa Yates

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *